Monday, November 24

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
Snow blowing sideways can't be a good thing, can it? This is what I'm looking at right now. And lucky me, I get to be outside in it all afternoon. One of the nice things my company does each year is get involved in a local campaign that provides coats to needy children in the area. Today, a few of us from my department will be outside Browns stadium giving away turkeys to those who come down to donate a coat.

You'd think this would be a nice, heart-warming event, right? Well, for the most part it is, but there's also a darker underbelly, which always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The rule is "one turkey per car." We get the greediest, pissiest people down there, who want two turkeys because they gave two coats. Or 5 turkeys for 5 coats. You get the picture. They don't seem to understand that this is a charity event, that the whole point is donating the coats to help the children. So then they get all torked off and will actually take the coats back, drive around the block, and try and get another turkey. It's despicable.

There are also the good stories though; last year we had a little girl come up with her mom and she had her entire piggy bank full of pennies and nickels that she wanted to donate to the Salvation Army (who is one of the sponsors of this event). Or the people who don't take turkeys at all. Or the people who anonymously drive up and hand us a check for $200 and drive off before we can thank them.

So while I'll be freezing my ass off, it's definitely for a good cause. And I'll feel good that I was a part of it again this year.

No comments: