Saturday, January 31

Shuffle
A rare Saturday Evening Post! Har!
Anyhow, I'm home alone this evening, working on my freelance project and also listening to music really, really, really loud. I have a huge playlist cued up on the Media Player and I've put it on shuffle. I'll share with you what I'm listening to and what memory it invokes.

Jane -- Barenaked Ladies
This is one of those songs that shows up repeatedly on mix CDs that I make to get me through the 40+ minute commute to and from work. Usually sung at the top of my lungs while tree after tree on the Ohio Turnpike get left in the dust.

Ain't No Stoppin' Us -- Jason Mraz
Just a cool tune by the M-R-A-Z. One of many on this playlist, off his album, Waiting for My Rocket to Come.

Ain't No Stoppin' Us -- Jason Mraz
Apparently the computer likes this song, as it has chosen to play it again.

Daniel -- Elton John
Daniel is travelin' tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights
Heading for Spay-e-yay-yain
This song reminds me of being in the dentist's office when I was little, but other than that, there's a cool version that he did with Ryan Adams that's probably going to come up on this mix somewhere that I downloaded illegally (ahem -- I mean, obtained through totally legal means.)

What a Fool Believes -- Doobie Brothers
Everyone always makes fun of me for liking this song. This reminds me mostly of my childhood, when my mom would blast this song on the stereo and we would dance in the living room and cause my dog to go spastic. We'd grab her front paws and make her dance with us.

Gettin' Jiggy With It -- Will Smith
Before Owen and I started dating, back in early 1999, I think I played this song on a jukebox at a bar we were hanging out at. It must have been my impeccable taste in music that attracted him to me. You can't help but bob your head to this Fresh Prince tune.

Hard to Make a Stand -- Sheryl Crow
This is a song that Owen's band is covering when they play live. I had never heard it before that, but it's a pretty cool song.

Marvin Gaye -- Josh Rouse
This song has absolutely nothing to do with Marvin Gaye. But it's very cool nonetheless.

For Once in My Life -- Stevie Wonder
This song reminds me of my senior year in college. It was one of those winter days where the temperature actually rises to the 50's and people appear outside in short sleeves. My housemates and I were out on our fabulous front porch and the hippies who lived across the street were jammin' to this song. It has become one of my all-time favorites, until Justin Guarini ruined it -- almost.

Best of My Love -- The Emotions
Reminds me both of the beginning of the movie "Boogie Nights" and of the first few months when Owen and I first started dating.

Love at First Sight -- Kylie Minogue
This song was on the mix CD we created for our wedding reception. It is also one of Owen's favorites.

Seven Days -- Craig David
This is another one that ends up on a lot of mix CDs that accompany me to and from work. Sounds better the louder you play it, and also at that volume, it drowns out my pathetic attempt to sing along.

Hot in Herre -- Nelly
Now we're rockin'. Nothing accompanies writing about jojoba oil like a little Nelly. That's what I'm discovering. Is he saying "I got a friend with a phone in the basement?" And if so, what does that mean?

Answering Bell -- Ryan Adams
The song which introduced me to Ryan. And easily my favorite of all of his songs.

In Da Club -- 50 Cent
This song was ruined for me when it was played at the office Christmas party and people were shakin', shakin', shakin' like a polaroid picture (sorry, wrong song)

Love Vibration -- Josh Rouse
Off his newest CD, 1972. This has recently become the song that I'll play when I'm stuck in traffic and I can feel the rage building (which is a lot these days).

Strange Condition -- Pete Yorn
God, I love this song. I don't really understand the words, but it's fun to sing and easy to play on guitar.

Idiots Rule the World -- Ryan Adams
I'm not sure where this song came from. It's another one that I completely legally got off the Internet. Except not.

Closet -- Pete Yorn
I swear, there are more than four artists on my playlist. The computer must be feeling my Pete/Ryan/Josh vibe, though.

Only Heart -- John Mayer
Add to that my other favorite main man, John Mayer. If John Mayer and I had gone to college together, he would have been the guy in my senior year Creative Writing class who I kind of had a crush on but kind of hated because he was a better writer than I was.

Extraordinary -- Liz Phair
I like this song, because it's about stalking someone. I love the chorus:
"I am extraordinary, if you ever get to know me
I am extraordinary, I am just your ordinary
Average everyday sane/psycho supergoddess"

Rich Girl -- Hall and Oates
Say what you want. I like Hall and Oates, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Had enough? So have I. Besides, I think I've put in a solid chunk of time on my freelance project for the evenin.


No comments: