Wednesday, December 8

Small world
I don't know if I ever wrote about how a biker was killed right outside my house earlier this year. It was such a surreal, bizarre night. I remember that we were in our basement, watching a taped episode of the Sopranos, the one where Adrianna gets shot. I knew that she got shot because I had either read it in a blog or heard it on the radio, and so I was just sitting there on pins and needles, waiting for it to happen, and as the episode got closer and closer to the end, getting more and more jacked up about it.

About halfway through the episode, we heard a noise. It just sounded like something falling off a shelf upstairs, but it spooked both of our cats. I thought nothing of it, but after a few minutes, my husband felt uneasy about it and went upstairs to investigate.

He called me up and we were witness to a scene of total chaos. There were several police cars blocking off the street, a couple ambulances, and TONS of pedestrian gawkers. Finally, across the street, we saw the motorcycle, totally smashed to bits. We saw the biker in the road, not moving, his helmet several feet away from him. But we couldn't see much else, because it was dark, and because of the distance.

We watched this scene for about an hour, until finally they loaded the biker into an ambulance and sped away.

We learned that he died from a small blurb in the newspaper, which also said that the driver was a hit-skip, that she fled the scene, but that police came to her house and arrested her late that night.

Well, fast forward to the present. My husband's boss calls my husband and tells him that he will be off Thursday because he has to accompany his teenage son to court because the son is testifying in a D.U.I. case. It turns out that his son was at the house of the hit-skip driver that night. The driver's son and my husband's boss' son are friends. Apparently she was completely trashed, and when she got back to the house, she barricaded herself in there, and wouldn't let the cops in until the middle of the night when she sobered up.

The whole thing is sad, and to think that we are somehow connected to it, because it happened right before our eyes, it's definitely a tragedy that will stay with me for a long time.

2 comments:

GreenTuna said...

Yeesh. That is quite a story.

Anonymous said...

That is tragic. I feel sorry for your son's boss, as well as the victim's family.

[hugs]

~grace