Monday, December 6

A post
So I'm sitting here, munching on the Captain's Wafers (doesn't that sound dirty?), and I realize that I got nothin' as far as blog material goes. The proverbial well has run dry, so to speak.

But never fear, my friend Amy sent me this e-mail, and suggested that perhaps I could post it, and so post I shall:

---------------------------------------

'Titanic' Tops Cheesy Film Moments Survey
1 hour, 38 minutes ago Entertainment - AP

NEW YORK - Although "Titanic" soared at the box office
in 1997, according to a recent United Kingdom survey,
it's most memorable line — "I'm the king of the
world!" — sunk.
Baker Warburtons posed the question "What are your top
three cheesiest moments in film?" to 2,000 U.K.
moviegoers in celebration of the launch of their new
cheese flavored crumpets.

The line uttered by Leonardo DiCaprio (news) was
followed by Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the
corner," from 1987's "Dirty Dancing" and Andie
McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed,"
from the end of 1994's "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

Warburtons reports that surveyed women opted for
romantic comedy moments from films such as "Notting
Hill" and "Jerry Maguire" while men preferred silly
scenes from action flicks like "Top Gun" and
"Braveheart." Despite the gender divide, 33 percent of
the overall vote unanimously agreed on the "Titanic"
yell as the cheesiest moment.

Here's the list of big cheese moments:

1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the
world!"

2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby
in the corner."

3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie McDowell's "Is
it still raining? I hadn't noticed."

3. "Ghost": Demi Moore's "Ditto." to Patrick Swayze's
"I love you."

5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise (news): "You
can be my wingman anytime"

6. "Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl...
standing in front of a boy... asking him to love her."

7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we
celebrate our Independence Day!"

8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson (news)'s "They may take
our lives, but they will not take our freedom!"

9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise:
"You had me at hello."

10. "The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner
(news): "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No,
I'm a postman."

--------------------------------------------

I happen to agree with most of these. I'm trying to think of some other movie moments that would make my personal list.

Hmm... that reminds me of a story... when my husband was a freshman in college, he and some friends went to see the movie "Passenger 57", which starred Wesley Snipes. The theater in which he and his friends chose to view this movie was ... um ... urban. Anyway, there comes a point in the movie where Wesley Snipes says something like, "Always bet on black" and the entire theater erupted in applause and hoots.

Here are a few more quotes, most of which have become cheesy by overuse throughout the years (thank you stationfive):

Here's looking at you, kid. (Casablanca)
Get your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape! (Planet of the Apes)
I'll make him an offer he can't refuse. (The Godfather)
You talkin' to me? (Taxi Driver)
I see dead people. (The Sixth Sense)
I'll be back. (Terminator)
Go ahead, make my day. (Dirty Harry)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. (Apocalypse Now)
'You want answers?' 'I want the truth!' 'You can't handle the truth!' (A Few Good Men)
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in... (The Godfather III)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something about the YOOODS (My Cousin Vinney)

Brian said...

"Whoa" (Keanu Reeves in many, many movies)

Kat said...

"First rule about Fight Club: don't talk about Fight Club."

That's another good one.