Tuesday, December 28

Complications
Ok, my main goal in posting this is for some kind soul to comment that everything that I have posted about is normal and that I, for the most part, shouldn't worry.

I had my second pre-natal appointment this morning, wherein I got the results back from the bloodwork they did last time. This was after they attempted to get the baby's heartbeat with the heart monitor wand thingy and couldn't, so they shuffled me off to the ultrasound room, where everything was found to be normal (thank goodness -- except the baby looks even less humanoid than last time they did the ultrasound ... did I mate with E.T. and not realize it?).

However, some things came back from my blood test that weren't so normal... one being my blood sugar level. So I had to drink this orange pop stuff and they drew more blood to test for gestational diabetes. If that comes back high, and it probably will since I've been eating crappily since Christmas Eve, I have to go in to the hospital for a longer test to pinpoint whether it's gestational or actual full-blown diabetes. Lovely.

Also, my iron levels are very low, so I'm going on a supplement. They said that my iron level was typical of someone at 24 weeks, and I am almost at 12. Not good. But I knew that I was slightly anemic, so not a big deal I guess.

The triple whammy was that my blood type is negative, and that means, I get a big shot in my ass when I'm farther along.

Not to mention that I then got the full-blown, in-the-stirrups exam and all that entails. All in all, a banner trip to the ob/gyn.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I don't know about everywhere, but the orange sugared soda test is routine at military installations at about 5 months.

I was also anemic and while I was pregnant with K, I had to take iron pills (which resulted in a prescription for Metamucil). The secret? Take the iron with a glass of orange juice, and things were flowing again (no more Metamucil).

About the shot in the ass~I got nothing, sorry.