Tuesday, June 22

Summer Reading
I need to get my ass off the computer and start reading more books. I have no less than ten unread books at my house. My mom keeps giving me books when she's done reading them, and though a lot of them are things I would never choose for myself, I feel like I should read them, or at least make the attempt.

The first one I read that she gave me, The Kitchen Boy, was actually really, really good. It is a fictional account of the last days of the family of Czar Nicholas (sp?) before they were murdered, from the perspective of a young boy whose job it is to work in the kitchen of the house where the family is being held captive. I know nothing of Russian history, and knew nothing of their fate prior to reading, but the story was well written and suspenseful.

I am about 5/6 of the way through The Princes of Ireland, which is a behemoth of a book -- a saga, my husband calls it -- which is another book I would never, in a million years, chosen for myself. It's sort of interesting in that it has some discussion of Irish history, mixed among some family feuds and romances and stuff. But I will not recommend it due to its length and the fact that there are a ton of other books that I would recommend before this one.

Stay tuned for more book reviews as I read them...

3 comments:

Mensch71 said...

Reading books? What fun! I've been reading exciting things like "Federal Regulation of Consumer Credit: The Cause or the Cure for Predatory Lending". My life. Sucks. Just saying...

Kat said...

Strangely enough, that's on my list as well... OK, not really.
~K~

babyfishfel said...

May I just put in a quick plug for your local library? They'll keep your supply of unread books coming. Also, I happen to know that your area has a fabulous award-winning library director (because I worked with and am friends with her soon-to-be-librarian daughter).