Tuesday, November 16


The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can change its form.
The total quantity of matter and energy available in the universe is a fixed amount and never any more or less.

-taken from some scientific website


I am not scientifically-minded. It was never one of my favorite subjects. In fact, I always wondered how I managed to eke through science classes in high school.

But I think I have discovered a scientific principle that needs to be documented. I’m talking potential Nobel Prize-winning stuff, here.

Based upon the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that there is always a fixed quantity of matter and energy in existence, I have noted a curious phenomenon.

I’ll call it the Law of Conservation of Paper Clips.

How it works is: no human being who works in an office ever has to buy paper clips. You can use all the paper clips you want, but they always come back to you. I send some out in the mail attached to documents, I get them back attached to other documents. Never once in my life have I run out of paper clips. It’s scientifically impossible.

So I’m thinking that there must be a fixed amount of paper clips in the universe. Come on. Have you ever heard of a paper clip factory? No! Because they’re in such abundance, the paper clips that one could buy in a retail store are just repackaged paper clips that have been in circulation since the invention of the paper clip. And if you buy them, you are a sucker.

Does anyone have any corroborating evidence that I may use to support my thesis? Have any other office supplies displayed such behavior?

My research continues…

3 comments:

Johnny Newt said...

Holy Crap your right wev'e had the same friggin' box of paper clips in the supply room for about 12 years now!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I must be a freak, because I recently bought a box of paperclips. But, you must know that they are JUMBO paperclips. They were on sale at Target. And, well, I don't work in an office. Sorry to skew your research.

~Grace

Hammie said...

You are totally right. The paper clip holder (when I had a job: see my blog) was ALWAYS overflowing and I used them like crazy!

Oh, how wonderous and mysterious this universe is...