Tuesday, August 2

Tales from the bosom
Today, while I was breastfeeding my son, my boss called. At some point during the conversation it occurred to me that it was kind of funny that I was talking to my boss with my boob hanging out of my shirt. I didn't let him in on the joke, though. I missed the company's annual golf outing yesterday. Incompetent But Likeable usually organizes the event, and all the proceeds go to helping children with terminal illness. Each year, IBL makes a speech at the end, thanking everyone for attending and for their contributions. And he always gets choked up. My boss said that this year it was full-out water works. I'm sorry I missed it. There's nothing like a freaky bald man crying like a little girl. This year, IBL did not injure anyone with a divot, either, which disappoints me.

The doctor visit went well. Dan the Man is already almost 8 pounds! My doctor visit went well, also, I have been given the all-clear for my diabetes, and I am allowed to pretty much do whatever I want now. Yay. Have I mentioned that I have lost almost 20 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight due to the diabetic diet? Kind of a nice side benefit, there!

This evening, my uncle stopped over with my grandma. Now, my grandma is known for saying inappropriate things with the best of intentions. For instance, tonight, I had to leave the room to breastfeed the baby. When I returned, she asked, "Did you feed him?" I said yes. "From the bosom?" Yep.

She also informed me this evening, and this is information I never, never needed or wanted to know or even think about, that she got pregnant with my dad the VERY NIGHT my grandpa got home from the war. When I nervously laughed, she continued, "Well, he had been gone for FIVE YEARS!" Yikes. God bless her.

Anyhow, I should probably be sleeping or something, as the baby is sleeping. Last night he finally gave me a reprieve and slept most of the night. Still waking up every two hours, mind you, but usually going right back to sleep after a feeding and a good burp.

As for everyone's advice about leaving him with one of the grandmas, I will definitely do this as soon as I get a good milk supply. Both grandmas are chomping at the bit for the opportunity for some baby alone time, anyway.

No comments: