Tuesday, January 4

Saw-eet!
My #1 pick for a baby girl's name didn't even make the top 100 names as rated by BabyCenter.com. I'm not into the trendy girls' names. Still, I like the name I have picked out for my possible daughter. (Notice that #1: I am saying "I" picked the name. A recent discussion of baby names between my husband and I involved me saying, "How about ____?" and him saying, "Let me test it out. _____, cut the grass! Works fine for me!" And #2, I'm not telling you the names I've picked because they are subject to change and because I want to play that way, nyah nyah nyah boo boo.)

However, BOTH my boys' names are on the boy's list. One is in the top 20, and one is in the top 30. And I actually like quite a few of the top boys' names. But a few have already been boycotted, for various reasons.

First, there was Austin.

"AS IN POWERS?" my friend Amy said.

Yeah, baby. Scratch Austin.

Then my husband came up with "Shelby" for a girl. To me, Shelby is a Golden Retriever. That got nixed.

Brian was one of my favorite boy's names, but my husband has a cousin named Brian who isn't all entirely right in the head, so it just didn't seem appropriate.

Nor was naming a girl Lisa (after my husband's bitchy aunt).

I know that everyone wants a name that they can grab onto, monogram into little whosiwhatsits, tell everyone in the free world that their grandchild is going to be named ____. For some reason I feel that it's a more private thing between my husband and I, until we know for sure what we're having.

So I've taken to telling people, when they ask, that if it's a girl, she will be named Ethel, and a boy will be named Melvin.

And I don't tell them that I'm joking.

7 comments:

GreenTuna said...

My Baby Naming Story:
Me: How about Sarah
Him: (in a nasty whiny voice like you're a snotty 5th grader on the playground): Sa-RAH.
Him: I don't like Sarah.
Me: Well, you're not going to like ANYTHING if you say it that way.
Result: We had one name we could agree on. Thankfully, TinyTuna cooperated and was a girl. *Phew*

TVJ said...

I know! I know! Phinneous?

Kat said...

Dammit, TVJ, you guessed it. And for a girl? Apple or Hazel, haven't decided which. ;)

Margaret said...

If my daughter waas a boy, her name was to be Austin Javier (AJ for short).

I had an entirely different girl name for her picked out, but her dad LOVED it, so I changed it. Now, legally, she has 5 names.

Since I'm not having any more children, I'm glad that I got the girl that I ordered.

Mike said...

naming kids is always hard - seems like either me or my wife new someone we didn't like with whatever name the other suggested - plus there's the old "how will the other kids make fun of it?" factor...

Birthmom said...

I had my names all picked out with Kourtney- I had whittled it down to two- her middle name is my middle name, so that was decided for me (my grandmother said I couldn't break tradition).....and I had to see her face before I could decide between the other two first names....and Kourtney it was. The other choice was Tianna.

Had she been a boy, she'd have been Brandon Austin.

Now, with Ryan- I had a difficult time deciding- I thought of using Brandon, Ryan, Vaughn, and something else I can't recall- but, again- I had to SEE him first- and Ryan it was.

How exciting.....are you going to register anywhere? Like Target or something and let your internet friends get you stuff? Please?

Hammie said...

Okay, so I am a little late on the happy train but...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I haven't been around much lately.

HammieLove and I have picked names for our first borns:
Jonathan Cole
Kylee Jean
(Jonathan and Jean are family names)
Second Borns

Ryke for a boy (haven't thought of a middle)
Luciana for a girl. We're far from Italian but her nickname will be Lucky. Lucky Lawton. Isn't that cute?