Monday, August 30

Staying hip (or as close to hip as I can muster)
Although lately I've been finding that I am more in the target audience of VH-1 than MTV, I still make a point every year to watch the Video Music Awards (or VMA's as the hipsters call it). I was an MTV junkie from early on, when, in second grade, we got cable, and my babysitter and I would while away the after-school hours watching videos by the likes of Culture Club, Duran Duran, and Cyndi Lauper. The VMA's were always a highlight for me, every year.

I have continued watching it, just to stay current with what's going on with the young people these days. This year, I find myself on the cusp of not caring anymore. I still know who most of the nominees and presenters are, but am not a fan of (most of) the music. I watch for the outfits, for the drunkenness, the swearing, the outrageousness. Even that was disappointing. I didn't see the whole thing, though.

And you'd think that MTV would write some good copy for the presenters to slosh through. But no, they don't. Example. Oh, here's Tony Hawk and Ashlee Simpson! They banter about how cool the set is. But Tony feels it is missing something. Wow! Tony Hawk is going to skateboard on the set! The audience goes apeshit for this! Maybe I just don't get the whole Tony Hawk thing. Get a real job. Like, as an accountant or something.

Maybe next year I won't watch. I'll be tuned in instead to the "I Heart the 80's Strikes Back" marathon. That's some good stuff.

1 comment:

Johnny Newt said...

Oh, my lord kat, this post kicks ass, they should have just takin' shitty MTV of the air after the 80's because it was never could be better. It kicked so much ass they had to ship in from China. Yes , you absolutely are right that dick head Tony Hawk is a shit pile on wheels , making tons of green for fuckin' around on a damn' toy all friggin' day. The day he falls and busts his ass wide open will not come a second to soon.