Monday, August 16

Recovering
How was your Friday the 13th? Mine was decidedly bizarre, but fun.

First with the work drama. I have no idea what is going on now, I think they both talked to my boss this morning and I haven't been able to get a read on if it's resolved or if there will still be some aftermath. Until then I remain under my desk.

After work my hubby met up with me and we went to the Indians game. Hey, the boys are looking pretty good! They almost overtook the Twins this weekend. And my current favorite player, Ben Broussard, is on a hot streak. (He's pretty cute, too.)

The game was probably one of the most fun I've been to, ever. Although it started off on a strange note. We were standing at the ticket window and we had a close encounter with a strange person on stilts. He was in a special outfit, totally painted white. Like a mime. The outfit was tight-fitting and the stilts were included. Oh yeah, he had stilts on his hands so he actually looked quite like a giraffe, walking on all fours. He stared at everyone and ambled through the crowd trying to get into the Jake. I'm not sure if he was a defector from a circus or what his deal was -- maybe he was just sitting at home watching reruns and thought to himself, "Hmm, what should I do tonight? ... I know, I'll paint my body white and walk on four-legged stilts in front of Jacobs Field!"

Once we got in, we sat in our cheap seats for a while and then went to find my father-in-law, who owns a season ticket and frequently goes to games solo. His section is usually desolate so we can always get up there with no problem. But because the team is starting to do good, and possibly because it was Friday the 13th, we had company around us.

First, there were about six 40-something women sitting in a group. Nothing unusual about them, except they were all wearing fake mustaches. I shit you not.

In between us and them, a group of about 20 drunk college-age kids came and sat. The apparent ringleader of the group was a dead ringer for Jason Mraz. So anytime he did something funny, Owen and I would say to each other, "Check out Jason Mraz!" or "Jason Mraz is really fired up!"

I'm always leery of packs of college kids who have been embibing, particularly a group of males, and particularly at a sporting event, because 9 times out of 10, they turn out to be obnoxious assholes. However, Jason Mraz and the gang were actually quite entertaining.

I was a little worried at how they would mesh with the mustache contingent, and I began to squirm in my seat when I heard one guy say to another guy, "I dare you to go hit on the chicks with the mustaches." I thought, oh boy, it's on now.

A few minutes later, one of the mustachioed women appeared with enough beers to keep Jason and his pals going for a while. This set the group into a frenzy and the two groups became fast friends. They began to do a cheer. The mustached women would yell "MUST" and the Jason Mraz clan would yell "ASH!" Louder and louder and faster and faster until they realized there was a game going on. Then they'd watch the game for a while and more hijinx would occur. I think at the end of the game one of the gang high-fived my father-in-law.

Toward the end of the game, in large letters on the scoreboard, it said that highway 77-S was closed due to "steel erection." I swear to god, everyone in the stadium turned into Beavis and Butt-head. You could hear a collective "huh huh huh huh" going through the crowd. They took it down and replaced it by saying 77-S was closed due to "construction work." I'm thinking someone got fired. Better polish up my resume!

Quite an interesting day, to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought chat was fun that night. Too funny! Sounds like you had a blast.

~grace

Anonymous said...

And I thought chat was fun that night. Too funny! Sounds like you had a blast.

~grace