Wednesday, November 19

Foosball
I just realized what a catyclysmic football weekend it is going to be. Browns vs. Steelers. Ohio State vs. Michigan. Yikes! Might there be a cave that I can hide in? I'm not sure I want to be home when these games are going on. My husband has a Browns flag that he flies every Sunday, and then all week if they win. So it's flying right now. Will it be flying come Monday? Hope so.

Then there's the Ohio State/Michigan thing. Both my parents are U of M grads. So, even though I grew up in Ohio, I was reared to loathe the Buckeyes. It's in my genes! Even though I could actually give two shits about the whole thing, there's some deeply-ingrained urge within my body to scream obscenities at the TV when Michigan screws up (which, my mom will tell you, is a lot, due to that good-for-nothing Navarre).

Complicating matters is the fact that the man I married also happens to think Ohio State is da bomb. But shh, that's on the downlow. We were talking last night about how it would not ever be cool for him to admit openly to my mother that he roots for the Buckeyes. She is beyond fanatical about the Wolverines. You DO NOT call her during a game. Or on Saturdays if the Wolverines lose. You just don't. If you do, prepare yourself for the biggest cuss storm of insults ever unleashed on you. Or to not even get an answer, just the blaring of "Hail to the Victors" into the earpiece.

And if you mention that you like Ohio State, prepare for your house to be TPed, courtesy of my mom. I went on many a TP'ing mission when I was a wee one. And the best ever was a stealth mission to her Buckeye-loving friend's house while they were out of town to place a bumper sticker that read "O how I hate Ohio State" on the backboard of their basketball hoop. And conversely, we had our house decked out in scarlet and grey crepe paper, obscene anti-Michigan signs... good times.

It will be an interesting weekend at my household, that's for sure.

No comments: