Monday, November 17

Fonts at war
Today has been a complete disaster as far as all things computer-related. The main problem was caused by fighting fonts. Without geeking out too much about it, there are different kinds of fonts, and they're meant for different purposes. But if you have, for instance, multiple types of fonts called "Arial," in certain programs, they are going to duke it out to see which version is used. So in a file that uses the font Arial, there might be a "True Type" Arial font throwing a hard left hook at a "Type 1" Arial to see who's the more dominant font.

This is causing mass chaos as the dueling fonts are effectively shutting down my programs and otherwise creating gridlock. The techies seem to have taken a Darwinian approach and have tried to eliminate the weaker fonts on my system. I've tried to remain cool about it but I think I pissed off a techie when I was overheard saying "these new computers are bullshit. Everything is whacked."

I'm in computing hell.

No comments: