Monday, April 3

Secret
Last weekend, I attended my cousin's wedding shower. It was mostly comprised of her fiance's family, and so I pretty much knew no one in the room. My grandma was there and so by default, as my cousin was obviously tied up, and my aunt had to be front and center as the mother of the bride, it became my duty to keep my grandmother out of trouble.

Easier said than done. She's known for her malapropisms, and now that her memory seems to be going, she constantly is asking the same questions over and over again. It's trying, to say the least, to spend any large amount of time with her. I love her, don't get me wrong, but I'm exhausted after her visits.

She was particularly bad at the shower. Not only did she constantly interrupt my cousin while she was opening her gifts with, "Who's that from? Is that one from me? What is it?" But she kept asking me if I knew where my aunt was, where my cousin was, why wasn't my cousin's friend Kelly there, etc.

But the topper was, during the gift opening, when she leaned over to me and asked, "Do you want to know a secret?" Keep in mind that my cousin is oh, maybe five feet away from us. I lean in closer to her. "When your aunt had your cousin, she wanted to give her up for adoption," she told me in a not-so-whisper. "I've never gotten over it and if your aunt knew that I remembered that she would die."

Oy. Vey.

I just hope to God that my cousin didn't hear her. I don't think she did, because there was a low chatter in the room. What on earth possessed my grandmother to reveal that family secret to me at that particular point in history, I'll never know. It's a horrible nugget of information, one that I would never repeat (except on my blog, but other than that). Let's hope that on my cousin's wedding day there are no more revelations like this.

No comments: