Wednesday, June 6

Off the Lot
I started tivoing the latest Mark Burnett joint, On the Lot, because I figured, a) it's a Mark Burnett joint; b) Spielberg; c) aspiring filmmakers. What's not to like!

The first two episodes, which were more of the semifinals, were very enjoyable. The field was narrowed to eighteen. Then the show's format went to something similar to RockStar: INXS/Supernova, where each person gets to show their work, the judges comment, and then America votes.

The contestants are obviously very talented (most of them anyway) and I love everything about this show, except:
1. Carrie Fisher.
2. The hostess and her Seacrest-esque dialogue.
3. Carrie Fisher's voice.
4. Gary Marshall's comments about how much he loves female directors. Did someone accuse him of being a misogynist or something?
5. The critiquing style of Carrie Fisher. Apparently, one of the most important things in a film is a beginning, middle and end. At least, to her. And she must have made that comment, well, eighteen times!
6. The fact that I really can't stand the sound of Princess Leia's voice, her overexaggerated hand gestures, or the fact that she epitomizes the sterotype of an artsy, drama club kid who's all grown up. It's devastating because I used to want to BE Princess Leia, and now... eeesh.
7. The guy who made the movie about a "nerd" who obviously was supposed to be mentally disabled, and then acted shocked when people thought that.
8. The guy who says it's his last chance to make it because he has two kids. And no further explanation. His wife must be telling him to "get a real job." But somehow this is supposed to evoke sympathy.

It's a good thing I have a DVR, otherwise this show would be off my radar. I can still watch the films, fast forward through C.F., and see who gets voted off, in about 15 minutes!

1 comment:

lifeonhold said...

I tried it, but couldn't stay with the show. I think I'm starting to get over the genre.