Friday, June 11

Testing, testing, 100... 93 ...
This morning I had electrodes on my face and was attempting to name three rivers while the room was spinning.

That's the short of it. The long of it was this: I had my ENG test, it lasted about an hour, and was the strangest hour I've spent in a long time.

The first section of the test, after the electrodes were applied around my eyes and on my forehead, was for me to watch a red dot on a light screen. The dot would move from left to right and up and down and then randomly and I just had to follow it with my eyes. Piece of cake.

The second test involved me sitting up and having to lay down really fast and turn my head. My eye movements were monitored. I got really dizzy doing this part of the test.

The third part of the test was that the technician put this thing in my ear that blew air into it. It lasted a minute, and during this time I had my eyes closed and I felt like I was going to roll off the table and that the room was going to turn on its side. Then when the air stops, the technician asked me a bunch of questions, mainly to take my mind off the dizziness. They were questions that I couldn't easily answer when not dizzy, let alone when I'm trying to stop the room from spinning. I'll share the questions with you so you can understand:

-Tell me three girls' names that start with the letter R.
(My answers: Rebecca, Rachel, Rhonda)

-Name three rivers.
(My answers: Cuyahoga (that's the one here in Cleveland), Mississippi, and after a long deliberation, I came up with De Nile)

-Count backwards from 100 by 3's.
(Oy vey. This was a challenge for me.)

-Name three states that start with the letter M.
(My answers: Michigan, Minnesota, Montana)

-Three boys names that start with the letter D.
(My answers: Dan, Dave, Don)

-Three baseball teams.
(Indians, Reds, Tigers)

-Count backwards from 100 by 7's.
(More extreme difficulty on my part)

-Three flowers.
(Me: daisy, marigold, rose)

Then I was allowed to leave. I was glad to have a ride home, because man, I'm still not right. I feel dizzy but a different kind of dizzy than what had originally been bothering me. Now I just have to wait a week for the results. I guess a neurologist reads the eye movements and sends them to my doctor.

Very strange. I hope they figure something out!

1 comment:

Birthmom said...

Wow- that was quite the experience. I think the sitting up laying down fast would have made me sick-dizzy. Hopefully all will be o.k. :-)