Monday, January 17

More on birthdays
I was just out buying birthday cards (actually I needed to buy stamps, and the card store was the closest place I could think of, and so I decided to go there and buy birthday cards for people with upcoming birthdays, such as Incompetent but Likeable, whose is sometime in early February), and I noticed a trend.

It's hard enough to go card shopping. Most cards that are in the "humorous" section are either a) really stupid or b) really crass and tasteless. It's rare to find a card that dares to be cool, that you wouldn't be ashamed to give a friend, or a co-worker. And I'm not one for all the flowery, blubbery "friends are like wishes" crap that some of the cards have. Also, if a card has gold foil on it, I'm not buying it.

I really only had IBL's birthday to shop for today, plus I got a card for a co-worker who is leaving, but as I was looking, I found three or four other cards that I thought were pretty decent. I almost bought them all, but I don't have any major birthdays to cover in the next couple of months, so I decided not to.

You know what will happen, right? When I go back in a few months, all the cards will suck again. And thus, the principle of Birthday Cards Suck Until You're Not Looking For One.

2 comments:

GreenTuna said...

And don't forget the second important corollary -- no matter how many extra cards you buy when you stumble across funny ones, you'll never be able to find them six weeks later when you really need them. It never fails.

Margaret said...

I buy them when I see them, since I know I won't be able to find one when in need it. I put them in the 'card drawer' for future use.