Friday, September 2

Alias
For as difficult a time as my husband and I had coming up with our baby's name, you'd think we'd use it every once in a while.

However, I can count on one hand how many times I have called my son "Daniel" when addressing him. Unfortunately, he has been born to the queen of nicknames. Just ask anyone I went to high school or college with; I love to come up with alternative names for people.

I'm starting to worry that my poor son isn't going to know his real name, given the host of aliases that he has already been given. Here is a brief rundown of the names he is called:

The Crankster. This was a nickname given early on, to refer to his alter-ego, the one who screams non-stop.

This evolved into Crankster McBanks. Which then got shortened to McBanks. And then that became a verb to describe the act of screaming non-stop. "Do I hear him McBanking?"

That has recently gotten shortened even further into C's McB's. Or, alternately, just plain McB's.

Other variations include Mister McBanks, and McBank-a-dank's.

But that's not where the nicknames end. I'll call him anything that comes into my head, which includes but is not limited to: Buddy, Champ, Slim, Chief, Captain (but NEVER Cappy), Monkey, Frog, Bird, Cutie Pie, Sweetie Pie, Baby Boy, Little Man, etc.

My poor child is going to grow up confuzzled.

3 comments:

GreenTuna said...

And don't forget: DOODLE!!!

Margaret said...

As if my 4 names weren't enough, I also have a nickname. At home, I'm a 34 year old Peanut.

My daughter legally has 5 names, and I SWEAR, she'll NEVER have a nickname.

Anonymous said...

My son was "Sir Laughsalot"; a strange memory now that he is a glum 11-year old. I have new nicknames for him that I believe are illegal to post in this venue.