Monday, November 28

Glad it's Monday
How was your Thanksgiving weekend? Mine was shit-tastic. To recap:

Take the day off in order to get baby to his 4-month well visit. I end up getting a flu shot. Baby gets three shots in his thighs. Baby proceeds to wail for approximately 15 minutes, then passes out for remainder of afternoon. Baby wakes up with 102-degree fever. Fever lasts all of Wednesday and Thursday.

We take still-feverish baby to in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner. His activity level is slightly above zombified the entire day, disappointing grandparents and great-grandparents alike. Overate.

Trapped at home all day long with baby, whose fever finally breaks. Go back into doctor with baby to make sure there's nothing else wrong with him (at their suggestion after I called). Baby proceeds to make up for his lack of activity Thursday by being extra crabby. Highlight is taking baby to in-law's again and leaving him there while hubby and I get Chinese and rent "Batman Begins." Considered leaving baby at in-laws and leaving town with no forwarding address. Reconsidered and brought him home, only to find out that the baby has now associated his crib with a bed of spikes, and any attempt to lay him in said crib results in screaming that can be heard throughout the tri-county area. After several unsuccessful attempts to lay him down, my breaking point was reached (approximately 3:30 a.m.) and it culminated in my chucking a Boppy pillow at the living room window to release some of my pent-up RAGE!!!!!! and frightening Dom to the point where he avoided me all day Saturday.

More crabbiness. Took baby on errands to get out of the house. During this time he did not scream or cry once, but instead, saved up that entire hour and half's worth of screaming and then did it all as soon as we got home. Continued with the shunning of the crib. Husband slept on couch with baby for half the night, I took the other half of the night. Around 5:30 a.m. the baby finally realized the crib wasn't going to swallow him whole, and he allowed me to place him in it -- until he woke up screaming at 7 Sunday morning.

The clouds began to lift. After bringing both parents to the edge of insanity, the baby allowed us to get just enough energy to take us through the day, and then stole every little bit of life left in us. Fortunately, he slept in his crib without too much fuss, although he did wake up three times.

Gleefully dropped the devil's spawn at day care and whistled the entire way to work.


lifeonhold said...

OMG, Kat! Work must have been a relief. Hopefully your ears got a break.

This is one of those blog entries to save for when little Devil Spawn asks if he was "a good baby".

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, the good ole days. *sigh* I remember the screaming. Oh the screaming. Do you read dooce? she talked alot about the screaming early on. I feel for you- because while it's been almost 13 years since I had a newborn in my house fulltime, I can still recall looking, blurry eyed, at my screaming son and begging him to PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP CRYING AND PLEASE JUST GO TO SLEEP OR SHUT UP OR SOMETHING!

I feel ya. It gets better. (Well, until they are teenagers!)